Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 8 picks: Let the Jon Kitna era begin

By Jeff

Well, the losing streak is over. Unfortunately, a winning record eluded me yet again. I finished 7-7 for Week 7, bringing my 2010 overall record to a pathetic 43-56-4. I did beat Mike in our fantasy football match this week. So at least I have that going for me.

As for Week 8, Dallas will be without Tony Romo, he was destroyed by the New York Giants Monday night. Well, at least his collar bone was. While I am never happy when players get injured, I'm loving the way this season is spiraling out of control for Dallas. They were supposed to be the first team to play the Super Bowl on their home field. Ha! Somewhere Jessica Simpson is happy and trying to right a song. Key word is trying.

Before I start flipping the coin for Week 8's games let's look back at last week's big miss. I picked the Denver Broncos to roll past the Oakland Raiders. Probably my worst pick of the season. The Raiders won 59-14 and had like a 28-0 lead after five minutes. And it was at Denver!

Let's hope the future is a little brighter. The home teams are in all caps.

Denver (+2) over San Francisco in London: It will probably rain and be a terrible game like every other game ever played in London. I wonder if the English feel gipped. They send us teams like Chelsea and Arsenal, while we send them the 49ers (1-6) and the Broncos (2-5). Whatever. They still owe us for the assists in The Great War and World War II.

One of Kitna's (Right) finest moments.
Is that Romo on the left?
Jacksonville (+6.5) over DALLAS: I may be over reacting to the loss of Romo with this pick. Jacksonville did get destroyed last week, but that was with Todd Bouman at the helm. David Garrard is back. While that usually isn't exciting, it's better than Kitna. On a quick side note; remember when Kitna was going to be a star in Detroit with Mike Martz as the offensive coordinator? That was fun.

Washington (+2.5) over DETROIT: Donovan McNabb is not having a good season. He has more picks (7) than touchdown passes (6). But I just can't pick the Lions. I don't care if Matthew Stafford is back. I'm not doing it!

NEW YORK JETS (-6) over Green Bay: Darrelle Revis says he's 100 percent and Antonio Cromartie has returned to the elite player who had 10 interceptions with the San Diego Chargers back in 2007. That's not a cornerback duo I would ever want to face. Aaron Rodgers is great, but even he is going to be struggling Sunday.

ST. LOUIS (-3) over Carolina: Flipped a coin. Not kidding.

How does it breath?
Miami (+1.5) over CINCINNATI: I love how the Bengals will have a good season, raise hopes of their fans and then turn to suck when the pressure is on. The Dolphins were one play away from beating the Steelers last week and will shut down Cedric Benson. Carson Palmer won't be able to pick up the slack.

KANSAS CITY (-7.5) over Buffalo: The Chiefs have me convinced. They are legit this year. And when I say legit, I mean they will lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Tennessee (+3.5) over SAN DIEGO: The Chargers are the reason you can't base all of your analysis on stats. Their offense is first in yards per game, seventh in points and third in touchdowns. Their defense is first in yards per game. But they give up a lot of points (22nd in the league), and they make mistakes in big moments. Until they show some kind of consistency, I'm not picking them. All they do is burn me.

Tampa Bay (+3) over ARIZONA: How can a team with Derek Anderson at quarterback ever be favored? How?

OAKLAND (-2.5) over Seattle: I'm banking on the Raiders carrying their momentum from last week into Sunday's game. That being said, it's the Raiders and I could easily see the Seahawks winning by two scores.

Steelers sack celebration should
be the Carlton Dance.
NEW ENGLAND (-6.5) over Minnesota: Reports say that the Vikings are leaning toward not playing Favre because of his fractured ankle. You'd think reporters would know by now that Brad Childress does not run this team. Favre does. If Favre wants to play, he will. End of discussion. Either way, the Pats will win.

Pittsburgh (+1) over NEW ORLEANS: The Saints probably won't even try to run that ball, which is a smart move on their part. Aaron Smith is definitely out for the Steelers, and LaMar Woodley might be out. So things are shaping up pretty well for the Saints. Too bad this is the best team they've faced this year and Ben Roethlisberger will keep pace with Drew Brees.

Houston (+5.5) over INDIANAPOLIS: Peyton Manning won't have Austin Collie or Dallas Clark. The Colts still can't stop the run. The Texans may be inconsistent, but Andre Johnson's ankle is almost 100 percent and Owen Daniels is getting better every week. Oh, and the Texans have Arian Foster, who ran all over the Colts in Week 1.

The Coasters - Down in Mexico

3 comments:

  1. Do you think Kitna's jealous that his love for Jesus is being completely overshadowed now that Tebow is in the league? (Potential poll question in my eyes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 Wins! You can tie a season high tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossing my fingers, but it's doubtful.

    ReplyDelete