Monday, October 18, 2010

Pittsburgh's best pizza tour: Burgh's

By Jeff

This is the second part of a weekly feature where Swan and I (and possibly others) will visit and review various pizza places around the Pittsburgh area. Last week we did my favorite, Fiori's. This week we stopped by Swan's favorite, Burgh's Pizza and Wings Pub in Bridgeville.
Looks messy, but it's good!

The crust is definitely thicker than Fiori's. Another big difference is it's a crunchy crust. With Fiori's, you always need to use two hands because the crust is so thin and flimsy. Burgh's is the complete opposite. When we went on Saturday, it was done perfectly. There was a crunch to each bite, but it wasn't burned. That is my only knock on Burgh's. Sometimes, they overcook the pizza and the burned crust flavor takes away from the rest of the pizza.

The sauce is not that sweet, but that's not a bad thing. It works with the rest of the pie's features. This is something Burgh's has definitely improved upon in the past eight years or so. They used to have pretty large chunks of tomato in the sauce, which is something I do not enjoy. I'm one of those people who loves tomato sauce, ketchup and tomato soup, but can't stand tomatoes or chunks of the them. Anyway, Burgh's has really cut down on the chunks and made the pizza more enjoyable to me.

As for the cheese, I think they sprinkle some parmesan or one of those sprinkle cheeses on top. I can;t confirm this because I'm just not talented enough to taste it and know for sure. The texture has me thinking this is true though. Either way, it's excellent. It doesn't have the three stages like Fiori's but who does? Can't really hold that against them.

One factor I forgot to touch on with Fiori's last week was the reheat quality. Fiori's is one of the few pizzas where it still tastes good after reheating. It's nowhere near as good as it is fresh, but it's still really good. Burgh's does not have that quality. I will eat reheated Burgh's pizza because I don't like wasting pizza, but it's not something I get excited over. You'll never hear me enthusiastically proclaim I have leftover Burgh's pizza for lunch. I will do this for Fiori's.

Final grade for Burgh's: 9/10 if crust is cooked right, 7/10 if it's burned.

Steve Winwood - Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment