Monday, October 4, 2010

Let's here it for the boys: MLB awards predictions

By Jeff

MLB's regular season is over, so there are going to be some awards that need handed out. Pretty safe to say the Pittsburgh Pirates won't play any season awards, but Pedro Alvarez was named the National League Rookie of the Month! The following predictions are for awards that actually mean something.

This goofy looking kid can rake.
NL Rookie of the Year: All the preseason hype was surrounding Jason Heyward, but he's not getting this prize. San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey had 18 homers, batted .305 and managed one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball for most of the year. Heyward was good, Posey was better.

Neil Walker quietly fought his way into the conversation, but he played on the worst team in baseball. He also wasn't as good as Posey.
AL Rookie of the Year: The choice is pretty obvious over in the American League. Texas Rangers closer Neftali Feliz was one of the best closers in the league this year. Unlike Charlie Morton, he actually has nasty stuff and strikes out more than a batter an inning to go with his 40 saves, 2.73 ERA and a .88 WHIP.

NL Manager of the Year: His pitchers' arms will probably fall off at young ages, but Dusty Baker is going get rewarded for leading the Cincinnati Reds to their first postseason since 1995. Writers are also familiar with Baker, as he is a former ESPN guy. They tend to vote for their own.

Bud Black of the San Diego Padres is the other legit candidate. No one expected the Padres to be in playoff contention from May on, let alone one the last day of the season. Black should win, but Baker will.

AL Manager of the Year: So many choices. Ron Washington admitted to doing coke, and he was rewarded with keeping his job. To show his gratitude, he took the Rangers to the playoffs. Remember kids, cocaine = jobs.

I can't confirm,
but this might be Photoshopped.
Up north, Ron Gardenhire has once again taken the Minnesota Twins to a AL Central crown and did so without Justin Morneau for much of the year. He also got a decent season from Carl Pavano. That's worth plenty of points by itself!

Then there is Joe Girardi. He managed a bunch of really rich guys with big egos. For some reason, that makes him a candidate. I could tell A-Rod, Mark Teixeira, Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano to go play baseball and win 90 games.

Gardenhire should take the award because he did the most with the least and doesn't do drugs.

NL Comeback Player of the Year: If Tim Hudson doesn't win, the establishment is flawed. After being shutdown with major arm surgery last year, Hudson game back and went 228.2 innings. If that's not enough, he had a 2.83 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 17 wins. And unlike past Comeback POY honorees, Hudson has never cheated. In case you didn't get my clue, I'm talking about Jason Giambi. What a joke.

AL Comeback Player of the Year: Francisco Liriano was great for the Twins this year. Last season Liriano had an ERA of 5.80 (Oliver Perez was so proud). Liriano responded with a 3.62 ERA in 2010. He finished up giving up nine home runs, but for most of the season it looked like he'd only give up two. Crazy! He also hasn't cheated.

NL Gold Gloves: These awards are jokes. I won't justify them with predictions. Take that, Nate McClouth!

AL Gold Gloves: See above. Take that, Derek Jeter!

NL Most Valuable Player: I happen to agree with Albert Pujols regarding MVP awards. Your team has to be in the playoffs to win it. Apologies to Carlos Gonzalez, Adrian Gonzalez and Pujols, but your teams didn't make it. Joey Votto's team did. Look what happens when Votto isn't dizzy. He hits .327 with a .424 on-base percentage and 37 dingers. He also clinched second place for Mike in our fantasy baseball league. Mike is usually a bottom feeder, so this accomplishment cannot be overstated.

Tampa will miss this guy.
AL Most Valuable Player: There are not nearly as many candidates in the AL as the NL. Josh Hamilton was the runaway favorite in my mind, until he broke some ribs. Ron Washington should take notes. Drug abuse actually does long-term damage to your body.

The two contenders are Cano and Tampa Bay Rays Carl Crawford. Cano will probably win, but I'm picking Crawford. I would throw out some sabermetric out to say I think Crawford's defense and ability to turn singles into doubles by stealing bases makes him a better all-around player than Cano, but Mike will think I'm stealing his thing. Take Crawford away from the Rays, and they might not make the playoffs. Take Cano away from the Yankees, they still have a bunch of boppers and make the playoffs.

There are a couple more awards, but no one really cares about those. Let me know what you think.

Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Two Little Hitlers

8 comments:

  1. No Cy Young selections? I guess Mike already covered that last week.

    I love how Votto's ability to get Mike a second place finish in our fantasy baseball league is a reason that he should be NL MVP. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I can argue with the logic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You beat me to it Greg. I re-read this about 7 times because I was positive Roy Halladay superfan would've had that covered.

    Since you're curious: Carl Crawford's UZR was third best in all of baseball this year behind Brett Gardner and Jay Bruce.

    I think that's great logic for why Votto should get MVP. I told you from the beginning I was going to ride the Vottobahn all season and he didn't disappoint. That is also why I think Josh Johnson should've been NL Cy Young until he was shut down.

    I'm glad I was able to hold on to 2nd place because that money is going to help me pay for a stethoscope. I'm not even kidding about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no excuse for not putting the CY Young's up. I was sleepy and "Castle" was coming on, so I kinda rushed it. I completely agree with Mike's post on why King Felix gets it.

    As for the NL, yeah I have a huge man crush on Halladay. He will win it and he deserves it. On a side note, I want the Phillies to win just because of him. If any pro in the playoffs deserves a title, it's him. Have you ever heard him complain about run support, or anything? He was nothing but professional even when he was in Toronto and not smelling the postseason. Guys like Halladay should make us all want to be better men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't click on the person above. They are spam for pet supplies. Wooo! SDEE is so big we've received two spammers now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me continue the love for Roy and jeff I may be late to the party but I was shocked you didnt do NL Cy Young too. Roy was amazing this year and his professionalism and dedication are second to none. He bought every team member a watch for the no-hitter. Not just guys who were on the at the time; everyone and clubhouse workers.

    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/8/25/phillies-pitcher-roy-halladay-buys-60-baume-mercier-watches.html

    As a Phillies fan, I made my pilgrimage up there over the summer to see him throw and it was well worth it. That trade has been worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete