Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pittsburgh's best pizza tour: Harry's Pizza

By Jeff

The funny thing about this week's pizza tour stop is I never really considered going to Harry's Pizza in McMurray before. First, my friends and I love Jersey Mike's, and it's in the same shopping center as Harry's Pizza. So when we go out that way, it's usually for subs, not pizza. This prevented us from ever experiencing the wings place or hot dog stand across from Pizzaz over the years. Both places have since closed and it is now a Cash-4-Gold site. I can't help but feel somewhat responsible. It could be worse. It could be a Donut Connection that is really a front for illegal gambling. Oh wait. It already was that.
No hair. Just deliciousness.

Second, who wants to eat at place with Harry in the name. Yeah, the spelling is different, but it still makes you think they put hair in the pizza. Thankfully, they didn't.

Well, upon doing searches for good pizza places in Pittsburgh, Harry's came up frequently. As a result, Swan and I made a visit there last weekend. This was the first stop on the tour where we got the pizza to go. The place was packed and we didn't feel like waiting for an hour.

Before I get to the taste, I will point out that Harry's was the most expensive pie on our tour so far. A large pepperoni pizza came out to $17 and change. It's a pretty decent size, but is still on the pricey side.

The cheese had some extra seasoning sprinkled on top. It was green and added a nice flavor. Don't ask me the specific spices in the mixture. I couldn't tell you. Because we got it to go, the cheese was already in that more solid stage, which didn't take away from the taste at all.

Usually I am a sauce guy. It's typically my favorite part and makes me come back for more. With that being said, the cheese was the best part of the pizza and it stood out the most. Not that the sauce was bad. It complimented the cheese well, it just wasn't anything special.

The crust was very good (for crusts, at least). It was thin, so you know I was digging it. The best part was it had a nice crunch to it without being burned at all. That's the key to a good crust. If you burn the crust, it takes away the flavor from the rest of the pizza, and who prefers the taste of burning when eating pizza?

Once again, the pepperoni's were small, but delicious. Small pepperoni's are awesome. They create little bowls of grease. It's beautiful!

Overall, Harry's did not disappoint and ranks right up there with Giovanni's and Campiti's. I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Weezer - Getchoo (Rare Live Studio Session)

No comments:

Post a Comment