Monday, November 8, 2010

Mad props to Columbus Crew fans

By Jeff

This blog has always been a supporter of soccer. Having played my entire life, very few things frustrate me as much as people hating on the sport. Critics call it as sissy sport and constantly trash it for being boring. I get that people have their own opinions, but it's hard for me to understand how individuals can say soccer is boring, when there is constant motion. Baseball has players standing around doing nothing the majority of the game, and football has 25 to 40 seconds of idleness between plays. I'm not making fun of football and baseball, just pointing out that there is a lot of downtime during games.
There was no yellow smoke when I was there,
but it was still intense.

I attended a Columbus Crew (MLS) playoff game this weekend with Joe and Swan. It was great. The stadium wasn't sold out, despite it being a playoff game, but the hardcore fan section helped make it one of the best crowds I have ever been a part of. There was constant cheering and standing. In fact, there were signs throughout the section saying that cheering, standing, singing and playing instruments were encouraged. And when I say instruments, I mean about five drums, not lame cowbells.

Was it as intimidating as seeing a sea of Terrible Towels flying at Heinz Field? No. But there also wasn't anyone telling anyone else to sit down. At the last Steelers game I attended (Season opener against Tennessee last year), there were several lame fans who asked me and my friends to sit down so they could see the big screen. Then there was also this crazy woman who went crying to the usher every time the two young men in front of her stood. Thankfully, those guys were not forced to sit. Anyway, there was no chance anyone at the Crew game was telling someone else to sit down, which is exactly how it should be. You want excited fans getting into the game, not people who fall asleep (Another thing I've seen at Steelers game).

Now, there were so stupid fans at the Crew game that were spouting off profanities non-stop and clearly had no idea what they were talking about. It was really annoying, but the didn't ruin the game.

That trip took up all Saturday, but there are still some other stories from the weekend.

  • I don't think the two goals Marc-Andre Fleury let in Saturday night were terrible. He didn't have much of a chance on either of them. But why was he starting the game after starting Friday night? He shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.
  • I hope Pens fans realize how lucky they are to have Sidney Crosby. Not just the success he brings to the team, but the overall level of play he brings. Saturday night was a perfect example. I caught the encore, and Sid seemed to be everywhere. If only the team can get Evgeni Malkin going.
Someone told TK his stick
was made of black licorice.
  • I still don't think very much of Tyler Kennedy, but he had a great road trip. The effort from TK is never lacking, just production.
  • Good to see Mark Letestu score the game-winning goal in Saturday's shootout. He hadn't had a point since October 18.
  • I'm thinking Utah was not worthy of their Top 5 ranking, hence TCU destroying them 47-7. Not quite as close as Mike predicted, but a win is a win! 
  • If I were a Penn State fan, I would be excited for Joe Paterno and win No. 400. While I am not excited, you can't deny the significance of the achievement. Also, I wish I had the power to tell my employers to get the hell out of my house if they tried to fire me. Bad ass.
  • Remember that whole Jenn Sterger/Brett Favre drama? That sure disappeared quickly.
Woooo! We needed a late comeback
 to beat the Cardinals!
  • Speaking of Favre, should the Minnesota Vikings really be that excited that they came back to beat the Arizona Cardinals at home Sunday? As I said earlier, a win is a win, but a near loss to Derek Anderson isn't something I would brag about or view a possible season salvation.
  • The Miami Dolphins were on in Pittsburgh again this weekend. They are really boring to watch.
  • Detroit Lions players and fans should never make fun of kickers again. The Lions upset the New York Jets Sunday if Jason Hanson doesn't get hurt and Ndamukong Suh misses the extra point.
  • Matthew Stafford is hurt again. Detroit can't catch a break, can they?
  • The Pittsburgh Pirates have narrowed their managerial search to Clint Hurdle and Jeff Bannister. One hold a career record of 534-625 and the other has never managed before. Despite Hurdle's run to the World Series in 2007, I can't say I'm excited for either to take the reins.
  • The Walking Dead is my new favorite show on television. Who doesn't love an hour of zombies every week? 
    Pretty sure this was before the
    Cowboys hit the 1-7 mark.
  • Blog contributor Mike Z. would be the first person to die in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Fact.
  • Usually I don't bring up specific fantasy football matchups. No one really cares. But I annihilated RJ this week and he is contemplating retirement. Mostly because my team in that league is really bad.
  • The Dallas Cowboys have lost their past two games by a combined score of 80-24. Awesome.
  • Steelers play the Cincinnati Bengals tonight on Monday Night Football. Check back for a live blog of the game. Just kidding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment