Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Iron Bowl


There aren’t many other rivalries in college football that I pay my respects to. This is because I am an arrogant Michigan fan that believes there is only one real rivalry. (Even though mine hasn’t mattered for 3 plus years, they still realigned the conference because of the Michigan/Ohio State game.)


So I am here this week to talk about a game that will happen Friday that is fantastic and no I am not talking about the Backyard Brawl. Auburn takes its undefeated record to Tuscaloosa on Friday at 2:30 to take on heated rival Alabama. This game has national significance because of Auburn’s undefeated record and the cloud that surrounds Cam Newton. These are all facts we all know.


What few of us (I am saying this because we are Yankee folk) don’t know is how passionate this rivalry really is. I have never been to a game at either stadium but I have watched from a far for many years and I marvel at the passion that is SEC football. While there are many rivalries in that great conference this, is the one I enjoy the most.

For 364 days a year within the state of Alabama people talk about this game. Much like other in state rivalries there are family and friends on each side but mix that in with the fact we are talking about Alabama and you gain understanding of what this game means to these people. I took SI’s Andy Staples advice and listed to Paul Finebaum’s radio show in Alabama and I could feel the passion. This game is a season within a season and that is why it is special. The outcome of the game matters more to most than the entire season, something very few rivalries have.

As for the game on the field, I am hoping for a doozy. Last years game went down to the wire with Bama putting together a clutch 4th quarter drive (To relive, go here(I love the quote, “We run this state, we run this stadium.” Awesome stuff.)) The Crimson Tide went on to win the SEC and the National title as we all know.


Now, Cam Newton will try to do the same in the house that Bear built. Vegas doesn’t like Auburn’s chances but I am not sure if they are overestimating Bama’s defense. Don’t get me wrong, I love Saban coached defense but they struggled to stop Stephen Garcia and Jordan Jefferson. Cam Newton is far better than those two but the clear X factor is that both of those games were on the road.


It is always tough to pick a game that is clouded but so much emotion. I have been for Auburn all season but I feel like college football is due for some chaos. Bama 28-24.


Alabama- I’m In a Hurry

1 comment:

  1. I usually don't like watching SEC games because the defense is so good that it just seems like an offensive struggle, but I'm definitely gonna watch this one. It's really hard for me to watch a football game without having someone to root for, so I'm pulling for Auburn because they got screwed by the system in 2004. Try to argue against that playoff haters.

    ReplyDelete