Sunday, September 25, 2011

Why the hate on jerseys?

By Jeff

Rick Reilly recently wrote this column ripping on men who wear sports jerseys. It's not the first column of its kind and it won't be the last one. But that doesn't mean I agree with Reilly and others like him who hate jersey owners everywhere.

The most common thing I hear critics of jersey-wearing fans is that it's disturbing for grown men to wear shirts with another man's name on them. Really? Sounds a bit homophobic to me. I own Hine Ward, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kevin Stevens jerseys. Other than Stevens, these are my favorite players on my favorite teams. It's how I choose to display my support of the team. There is nothing disturbing about me, or anyone else, wearing another man's name on our backs.

Another common insult to us jersey wearers is that we think we're a part of the team. That's stupid. I can't hockey stop or block a strong safety. I could never make the Pens or Steelers. And 99.9 percent of the fans at sporting events never entertain the thought that they are a part of the team. They wear the jersey to support the team. Are you seeing a recurring theme here?

Reilly also inferred that those of us who wear jerseys think we dream of being confused for the player on our back. He got me there. When I go out in my Ward jersey, I honestly think people will think I'm a professional football player who happens to be of African and Asian decent. I've actually been told I look like Ward when I shave my head, wear huge diamond earrings and get really tan. I can't confirm or deny if the autograph I gave out was later sold on E-Bay.

Usually I think Reilly makes solid points in his columns, but he missed here. People express their fandom differently. If Reilly wants to just wear a hat to support his teams, I won't give him crap. He can even wear it backward. I only ask that he leave alone those of us who enjoy wearing jerseys.

Cake - Going The Distance

No comments:

Post a Comment