Saturday, September 24, 2011

Week 3 Picks: Rebound week?

By Jeff

Can I have a redo on Week 2? Not only did I miss on nine games, but I missed badly on about six of them. It's weeks like these that make me question why I put picks up on the Internet. Why embarrass myself further? But then I think, why not? C'mon, woo!

Let's start with the Miss of the Week. Here is what I said about the Kansas City - Detroit game. "That's too many points (8) for me to give Detroit in Week 2. They had a great win in Week 1, but I'm not sure they can do it again." Well, Detroit won by 45 points. They covered the spread almost six times over. At least I'll have a hard time missing a pick by that much again this season.

Well, let's stop living in the past and move on to Week 3. As always, the home teams are in caps.

San Francisco (+2.5) over CINCINNATI - Andy Dalton certainly looks like the real deal, and it's not like the 49ers have a great defense. But I'm thinking thisone stays close and Frank Gore has his first big game of the season.

New England (-7) over BUFFALO - The Bills gave up 35 points to the Oakland Raiders and 10 to the Kansas City Chiefs. I think the 10 to the Chiefs is more embarrassing than the 35 to the Raiders. Tom Brady is going to have a lot of fun.

NEW ORLEANS (-4) over Houston - Of the 2-0 teams, the Texans have the least impressive wins. They crushed a Peyton Manning-less Indianapolis Colts that then got smoked by the Cleveland Browns, and they beat the Miami Dolphins, who haven't won a home game in quite some time. The Texans have yet to face a productive offense, and the Saints have one of the best.

New York Giants (+8.5) over PHILADELPHIA - I get that the Giants have a depleted defense, but they still get to the quarterback. All it takes is one hit to Michael Vick's head and the Eagles are in trouble. And he is going to get hit. That offensive line stinks. I don't care what Ron Jaworski says on his Eagles radio show every week. I actually try my best to never listen to any Jaws says.

CLEVELAND (-2.5) over Miami - Games like these shouldn't count against me. There is nothing exciting about this one. Tell me an interesting storyline or something to watch for in this game. Take your time. It's not easy.

TENNESSEE (-7) over Denver - Matt Hasselbeck is alive! Alive!

Detroit (-3) over MINNESOTA - I've learned my lesson. Never will I doubt the Lions again if they are playing a crappy opponent.

CAROLINA (-3) over Jacksonville - Jack Del Rio is definitely trying to sabotage this team. He was only going to keep his job if they made the playoffs, so he cut his starter the week before the season began. Then in Week 2, Luke McCown had one of the worst performances by a quarterback I can remember. Yeah, I'm thinking Jack saw the writing on the wall and is trying to see how much damage he can do before he's shown the door.

SAN DIEGO (-14.5) over Kansas City - The Chiefs might not have 20 points combined after three weeks.

OAKLAND (+3) over New York Jets - No logic here. I was just sick of picking the favorites.

Baltimore (-4) over ST. LOUIS - The Rams are lucky there are teams like the Chiefs and the Jags, or else everyone would be talking about how this is the worst offense in the NFL.

Atlanta (+1.5) over TAMPA BAY - Do you believe in the theory that the Falcons will have a hard time getting up for a big divisional game after such an emotional win last week? Or do you believe in the theory that it was a stepping stone for the team and proved to them they can overcome the odds? I'm going with theory 2.

Arizona (-3.5) over SEATTLE - How did I forget to include Seattle when I was talking about the worst offenses in football? My apologies.

Green Bay (-4) over CHICAGO - Maybe I've been too hard on Jay Cutler. If my offensive line was routinely letting me get destroyed by 300-pound men, I'd probably walk around with a pouty face all day too.

Pittsburgh (-10.5) over INDIANAPOLIS - Kerry Collins is probably wishing he stayed retired at this point.

Washington (+5) over DALLAS - Maybe Grossman is more than who we thought he was. Granted, most people never thought much of anything of him, so that's not saying all that much.

Weezer - Simple Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment