Thursday, September 23, 2010

NFL Week 3 picks

By Jeff

Remember that time I said I would do better in Week 2 than I did in Week 1? It didn't happen. I stunk up the joint in Week 2 with a 6-9-1 record. I'm 13-16-3 on the year and already feeling like the Dallas Cowboys. The talent is there, but the production is seriously lacking.

What's even more frustrating is that my girlfriend's mom is crushing me in the family pick'em league. In the first two weeks, she is 23-9 compared to my 18-14. We only do four picks against the spread in that league, but it's still destroying my pride. She crushed me last year too.

It was very hard to pick my miss of the week from Sunday's game. After some inner debate, I chose my Arizona (+6.5) over Atlanta. I wrote "The Falcons will win this game, but it's going to be close. Derek Anderson is a joke, but so is the Falcons' secondary. Larry Fitzgerald is going to put the Cardinals on his shoulders and make a game of this one." The Falcons won 41-7. I'd definitely like a mulligan on this one.

With all that being said, Week 2 is behind us and it's time for Week 3. I can't do much worse. As always, feel free to share your own picks in the comments section.

At the request of Mike, home teams will be in all caps.

Tennessee (+3) over NEW YORK GIANTS: While I am not a big fan of Chris Johnson right now, as you can tell from this recent post, I'm not impressed with the Giants this season. Their win against Carolina in Week 1 was closer than the score showed. Matt Moore threw two picks in the endzone that mediocre quarterbacks would have turned into touchdowns. The New York offensive line is terrible and the Titans defensive line will wreck havoc on Eli Manning.

NEW ENGLAND (-14) over Buffalo: The Patriots offense sputtered in the second half last week against a Revis-less New York Jets team. That won't happen this week. Buffalo is going to struggle to win two games this season. The offense is atrocious and will not get any better with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking snaps.

BALTIMORE (-10.5) over Cleveland: What happened to Joe Flacco making the jump to elite quaterback this year with all of his new toys? Granted, he's faced some tough defenses, but elite quarterbacks overcome these challenges. Fortunately for the Ravens, The Browns suck. Ray Lewis and company will be hounding Seneca Wallace all day.

Pittsburgh (-2.5) over TAMPA BAY: Josh Freeman might want to sit this one out after seeing what the Steelers did to Vince Young last week. The Steelers offense won't be torching anyone until Ben Roethlisberger comes back, but they don't need to with that defense. Expect them to cause at least three more turnovers.

Cincinnati (-3) over CAROLINA: The Bengals held the almighty Flacco to zero touchdowns in Week 2. That does not bode well for rookie Jimmy Clausen.

NEW ORLEANS (-3.5) over Atlanta: The Saints have burned me two weeks in a row, but that offense is just too good to go against at home.

KANSAS CITY (+3) over San Francisco: Last time the 49ers played in a hostile environment, they were terrible. Arrowhead Stadium is one of the toughest places to play, even if the home team isn't very good. I'm probably overthinking this one. Crap.

Detroit (+11) over MINNESOTA: The Vikings offense has done very little to prove they are worthy to be double-digit favorites. The Lions might be 0-2, but they have only lost by a combined eight points. Expect another tough loss for them this week.

HOUSTON (-3) over Dallas: Is anyone else loving how the Cowboys have opened the season? John Clayton and many other NFL analysts couldn't stop gushing about how good the team was going to be this season. Instead they are 0-2 and look lost, while the Texans are looking like a playoffs team. It's only been two weeks, but you can't deny that these teams are trending in different directions. Goodbye Wade Phillips!

Washington (-3.5) over ST. LOUIS: After blowing a 17-point, fourth quarter lead last week, the Redskins are going to crush the Rams. I feel bad for Sam Bradford.

Philadelphia (-3.5) over JACKSONVILLE: That Eagles defense is looking vulnerable right now. They gave up 32 points to the Shaun Hill led Lions last week. But the offense seems to click with Michael Vick back there. While I am not ready to say he is better now than he was in Atlanta, he certainly looks like he can beat the Jaguars.

Indianapolis (-5.5) over DENVER: David Garrard threw for three touchdowns against the Broncos in Week 1. What do you think Peyton Manning is going to do to them? This line will probably move if Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey can't play.

San Diego (-5.5) at SEATTLE: It's just hard to pick Seattle. They stink. The 49ers should really be embarrassed.

Oakland (+4.5) over ARIZONA: I trust Bruce Gradkowski more than I trust Derek Anderson. Unless we're trusting them to throw the ball to the other team. Then Anderson is my boy.

New York Jets (+2) over MIAMI: This could be one of those really boring games where neither team scores a touchdown.

Green Bay (-3) over CHICAGO: Packers linebacker Clay Matthews has six sacks already this season. The Chicago offensive line is bad. Jay Cutler is going to get the crap kicked out of him. Then he will make that pouty face that makes you want to punch him repeatedly. Unfortuantely, you can't. Life isn't fair.

Stiff Little Fingers - Fly the Flag

7 comments:

  1. TheGuyYouMadeFunofinHighSchoolSeptember 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

    I agree with most of your picks except

    Miami over Jets

    San Francisco over Kansas

    Atlanta over New Orleans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your user name makes me feel bad. I'm sorry if I was cruel to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TheGuyYouMadeFunofinHighSchoolSeptember 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM

    lol I didn't expect you to apologize. Its been so long I dont care. I did it for humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't have readers knowing my true colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree except I will take:

    Giants -3 over Tenn (Edge to the home team who can move the ball vertically)

    Cards -4.5 over Oak (Both QBs sucks but Beanie's return should help the Cards)

    Chicago +3 over GB ( I Like GB long-term, but I think the Bears are playing better right now and its home for them)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been making fun of me for almost 20 years. Do I get an apology?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suggest changing your username to something extremely pathetic to maximize the chance
    of an apology/sympathy.

    ReplyDelete