No issues really have me so worked up today for a full blog post. So I happily present readers with another list of random thoughts in my head.
- Reggie Bush is giving back the Heisman Trophy and the '05 award will be left vacant. Who cares? This was five years ago. Do we really need to hear about it every day? And what's with Vince Young saying he would accept it? I understand the award is a big deal, and it being given back (before it was taken) is rare. But the 2005 season is so long ago I just can't find the heart to give a crap.
- Last weekend's game should be a clear message to Roger Goodell why the league should not consider an 18-game schedule. I could do some research and figure out if there were more injuries in this season's first week than in others, but I'm lazy. It just seemed like there were a lot more last weekend. Heck, it seemed like every play in the Packers-Eagles game ended with someone getting hurt.
- I love the Civic Arena. I've seen the circus, a Muppets event, a soccer game, countless hockey games, Weezer and Bruce Springsteen there. That being said, demolishing it is the right thing to do.
- Speaking of Weezer, I've purchased and listened to their latest album, "Hurley", a few times this week. It's a solid album with some very good tracks, some decent tracks and two I will probably skip over the next time around. It's definitely a different sound, and that's what I love about Weezer. Each album has a distinct feel to it. Some are better than others, but they are all unique. I would give "Trainwrecks" and "Hang On" a listen.
- Zach Duke is really bad. It's scary that the Pirates have three pitchers (Duke, Paul Maholm and Jeff Karstens) who you just know are going to be lit up every time they take the field. Sure, they have glimpses of hope, but they are just glimpses.
- Chad Ochocinco was fined $25,000 for tweeting during pre-game warmups of a preseason game this season. Detroit Lions Ndamukung Suh was fined $7,500 for this play on Cleveland Browns Jake Delhomme. Any one else think the NFL might want to revisit their fining system?
- Speaking of NFL punishment, I am fine with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's four-game suspension. Honest. But how does Shaun Rogers get off without a suspension for taking a loaded and cocked handgun to an airport? He even tried to take it on his carry-on.
- I was OK with the NHL rejecting the initial Ilya Kovalchuk deal with the New Jersey Devils. They had to put their foot down at some point, and the Kovalchuk deal with the tipping point. But to fine the team $3 million and take two draft picks from them is a joke. Other deals like the Kovalchuk deal had gone through, so I don't think the Devils were trying to cheat the league. The deal with rejected, Kovalchuk remained a free agent for a few more weeks and then a new contract was agreed upon and approved. Why couldn't the NHL just leave it at that?
- That last thought will probably draw a response from RJ (The Boss) saying something like Gary Bettman is trying to destroy the league, cause another lockout, export the league's players to the KHL and kill puppies.
- Charlie Day is awesome. He plays Charlie in "Always Sunny in Philadelphia". I recently saw "Going the Distance", his first fairly large role in a major film, and he stole every scene.
- I went through the entire first season of "Modern Family" the past two months. It's a great new show that everyone should watch. Although, I'm getting a little annoyed with the documentary style that "The Office" popularized.
- For all you baseball fans who hate soccer and call soccer players fakers and whiners, what do you have to say about Derek Jeter? You know, when he acted as if he was hit by a pitch on the elbow, but really the ball hit his bat?
- Buster Olney ends all of his blogs on ESPN Insider with the phrase "And today will be better than yesterday." I'm going to have to call shenanigans on that one. What if you got an S.T.D. today? How is that better than being S.T.D.-free yesterday? I'm not speaking from experience, but I'm sure it happens every day to multiple people.
Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way