Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Karma could catch Colts

The Indianapolis Colts are squaring off against the New York Jets this weekend in the AFC Championship game. It's a rematch of their Week 16 contest, where the Colts' starters were pulled after playing in the first half. The Colts were leading 15-10 at that point and then lost 29-15 once Peyton Manning left the game.

The game meant nothing to the Colts, who had already locked up the No. 1 seed in the AFC. However, the game did have major ramifications on the playoffs, as it allowed the Jets to get in. If Rex Ryan's boys had lost that game, the Houston Texans would have been in the playoffs instead.

Reaction to the tank job was criticized by fans and media members alike. The Colts threw away the perfect season to rest their players for the playoffs, effectively handing the Jets a playoff berth. The action even caught the attention of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who said he wants to put rules in place to prevent teams from sitting their starters at the end of the season.

Of course, any rules or incentives like that would be ridiculous. A team clinches a playoff spot and can do whatever they want. They owe nothing to the rest of league. You can argue that they owe their fans their best effort, and I'm in that boat, but the team can just retort that they have the Super Bowl in mind, which would be a greater victory for the fans than a 16-0 regular season.

Now if the Jets win this game, do you think Colts' head coach Jim Caldwell will be second-guessing his decision to bench his starters? More important, do you think Colts fans will suffer a mental meltdown that results in mass suicide across the the state of Indiana; strikingly similar to the events of "The Happening"?

If you haven't seen the Mark Wahlberg film were smarter than me. It was on HBO, I was ignorant, young and naive. I wish I didn't grow up in the M. Night Shamalangingdingdong era.

Anyway, I can't stand the Jets, but I'm rooting for them in this one. No, I don't want to see mass suicide in Indiana. I just want to watch the reaction when it happens. Let it be a lesson that if a team shuns the gift of being considered the greatest team of all time, they will be smote by a rookie quarterback and obese head coach.

Third Eye Blind - Faster

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you for using "smote" in a sentence. Sorry, for my poor effort; I wanted to comment but you basically covered everything. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Although, I am sad you had nothing to contribute regarding Jose Offerman.

    ReplyDelete