Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Dribble Drive" is stupid

The title pretty much says it all, but I'm going to rant anyway.

I have been sitting around watching some excellent college basketball this Saturday, and in every game I have heard the commentators you the statement "dribble drive" to describe a team driving to the basket.

Think about that statement for a moment. I haven't played competitive basketball since eighth grade, but I'm pretty sure that in order to actually drive to the lane, you have to dribble. It's kind of a rule in basketball. If you don't dribble, you travel. Yet these commentators, who should know how friggin' redundant "dribble drive" is, are constantly saying it. They said that John Calipari actually brought the "dribble drive" to Kentucky this season. I have to disagree. Maybe he brought a more aggressive offense, but I'm pretty sure Kentucky knew how to dribble through the lane before he showed up.

The "dribble drive" phrase has taken the top spot for my most hated overused saying in sports. Pick six was the former champion, but at least that one makes sense. Commentators, I have a simple fix for you. Just drop one of those words. Either the player is dribbling to the basket, or they are driving to the basket. How have their producers not picked up on this yet?

Bruce Springsteen - My City of Ruins (Eddie Vedder did a wonderful version of this in paying tribute to Bruce. YouTube it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment