Thursday, March 24, 2011

Looking back at bold Pens predictions from September

By Jeff

Back in September I stole a page from Matthew Berry and made some bold predictions regarding the Pittsburgh Penguins. Looking back, I aimed high and crashed very hard on almost all of them. Let's review this debacle.


  • Sidney Crosby will win the Art Ross and Hart Memorial Trophies - 
What really happened: Crosby had me looking like a genius for half the season. He had around 10 more points than the next guy and was the unanimous MVP. Then the Winter Classic came and you know the rest.
  • Evgeni Malkin will return to being a 100-point player
What really happened: Malkin wasn't playing up to his potential even before he destroyed his knee. Hmmm. Seems like I kinda jinxed the team. Sorry.
  • Paul Martin will score 10 goals and 50 points this season
What really happened: Well, the season isn't over yet, but I think it's safe to say Martin won't reach these milestones. Should have gone with Kris Letang!
  • Max Talbot, Asham and Matt Cooke will be the best third line in hockey
What really happened: The third line seems like it changed every game, yet I don't think these three were ever on the ice together. I really thought the trio would be wreck havoc on every team, but Talbot went to suck, Asham was relegated to fourth line when healthy and Cooke became the most hated player in the league.
  • Eric Tangradi will score 20 goals
What really happened: Like Malkin, Tangradi wasn't playing well even when he was healthy. Then he was blindsided by Trevor Gillies' elbow. I should never make predictions again.
  • The Pens will sweep the season series against the Philadelphia Flyers
What really happened: This one fell apart on the first game of the season! Frick!
  • Marc-Andre Fleury will start the All-Star Game
What really happened: This did happen. I'm brilliant.
  • Someone will tackle the dancing "Cotton-Eyed Joe" ginger
What really happened: I've only been to one game, so I can't confirm or deny that he has been tackled.
  • Mike's siblings will get tickets to games when Mike should have gotten them
What really happened: This probably happened, I just wasn't told about it. 
  • The Pens will beat the Washington Capitals 4-2 in the Conference Finals
What really happened: TBD
  • The Pens will beat the Vancouver Canucks 4-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals
What really happened: TBD
    • Fleury will win the Conn Smyth to avenge last year's playoffs debacle
    What really happened: TBD


    For those of you keeping track at home, I made 12 predictions and only two came true. There is potential for three more to happen, but that would still leave me at less than 50 percent. Whatever.

      1 comment:

      1. I can confirm that George got tickets to a game that I was supposed to go to.

        When I was home on break, I didn't see the ginger at all. He may very well be in the hospital due to a vicious hit. I think you can count that one too.

        ReplyDelete