Friday, August 20, 2010

Pittsburgh establishes Arena Football League team, give it lame name

By Jeff

With the new Consol Energy Arena comes a new Arena Football League team for the city Pittsburgh. The team will be called the Power, which to me is a sin in professional sports.

The city deserves better. Professional sports teams should end in an "s" unless they are the White Sox or Red Sox. Don't ask me why I'm so passionate about this, but I am.

The Power sounds like a rejected WNBA team. Heads are going to roll if they start playing "I've Got the Power" during home games.

I haven't read anything stating that the ownership team of Matt Shaner and Lynn Swann picked the named because the team will be playing in the Consol Energy Arena, but I'm sure it was their inspiration. Actually, I don't care how they came up with the name. It's lame.

The people who came up with the Pittsburgh Pipers are probably shaking their heads somewhere. Rumors were spreading on the radio yesterday that they would be called the River Wizards. That name sucks, and I was really hoping it wasn't true when I heard the reports. Now I'd take it in a heartbeat over Power.

What do you think a better name would be for the Power? Off the top of my head I came up with Miners, One & Dones, Piranhas (in tribute to this story) and Admirals. They're not great, but they're better.

The Presidents of the United States of America - Video Killed the Radio Star

4 comments:

  1. How about The Black Lungs? Or maybe the Corn Cobs Cobras?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the Heat, Jazz, Magic, Thunder, Avalanche, Wild, and Lightning? None of those non-plural teams work for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one bit. Colorado should be the Yetis!

    ReplyDelete