Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Some random thoughts

If you haven't picked up on it yet, I like making lists. I just have a bunch of random thoughts going through my head right now, but not enough to make write up individual blogs. So you get a list.

  • Eric Mangini, Dick Jauron, Jim Zorn, Norv Turner, Jack Del Rio and Tom Cable will all be fired during, or after this NFL season. Jeff Fisher, John Fox and Wade Phillips could be gone too.
  • I have to admit, I took this stat from Bill Simmons, but Jeff Fisher has just six winning seasons in his 16 years as the Tennessee Titans'/Houston Oilers' head coach. Why is he still considered one of the best in the business? Don't give me the old, "he does well for the talent he has." He has a say in the guys he gets, so isn't it partially his fault if his players aren't that talented?
  • There are not a lot of good coaches in the NFL. Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin and Tom Coughlin are the only active coaches with Super Bowl wins.
  • Steelers safety Ryan Clark should NOT play this weekend in Denver. Last time he played there, his sickle cell trait caused his body to attack his spleen and gall bladder, which resulted in them both being removed and him missing the rest of the 2007 season. Doctors have cleared him, saying he is safe now that his spleen is gone, but why risk it? What if his body attacks an organ you can't live without? Sit and live to play another day, Ryan.
  • The Cleveland Browns just fired their GM and want to bring in "veteran consultants" to help the team produce. The Browns might be the worst run organization in the league. A league that includes the Oakland Raiders, Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions. Think about that for a minute.
  • The DDT is the greatest professional wrestling move ever. It's simplicity and the ease that anyone could use it are one of a kind. Honestly, every time I go out I am tempted to DDT every other person I walk by.
  • The Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers had certain needs they had to fill this offseason to compete for a Stanley Cup. The Caps needed defense and the Flyers needed a real goalie. Well, the Caps went and signed more offense, while the Flyers signed Ray Emery. Neither is making the Stanley Cup Finals this season.
  • Florida Gators coach Urban Meyer suspended his linebacker Brandon Spikes for a half next week against Vanderbilt. Spikes raked at Georgia Bulldogs' Washaun Ealey's eyes during a play. If you look at the video, it wasn't like he just tried to poke Ealey's eyes, but really went after them. Meyer should have suspended him for at least a game. Oregon's LeGarrette Blount was suspended for the season by his school when he punched a Boise State player. Is that really that much worse than trying to rip someone's eyes out? One more reason I strongly dislike Urban Meyer.
  • Just got the new Weezer album, Raditude. It's pretty poppy like all of their recent efforts, but I'm bobbing my head and enjoying it. Listen, most of the band is happily married and have kids now, including lead singer/songwriter Rivers Cuomo. He is not miserable and filled with angst like he was early in Weezer's career. There will not be another Blue Album or Pinkerton. To expect it every time and then hate the band for not reproducing those two classic albums is unfair. I'm not saying you have to like it, that's your choice, but give them a break and stop comparing everything they do to those two albums.
  • Speaking of the new album, the song "Can't Stop Partying" was way better without Lil' Wayne's part. Please YouTube it and watch the version with Rivers and Jermaine Dupri. It's awesome.
  • One more note on the new album. Listen to "Put Me Back Together." It has an older feel to it and is not as poppy. Really, I'm listening to the album as I write this, so there might be a lot of updates about the album.
  • Ryan Howard might of had one too many big philly cheesesteaks. All it takes is one hit to break out of this slump, but come on, multiple K's in every game is pretty embarrassing.
  • I miss Greg, Mike and TheBoss commenting on a regular basis.
  • Chase Utley is a freak. I mean that in the best possible way.
  • Third Eye Blind suffered from a similar problem Weezer did. Their debut album was just too good and left everyone expecting greatness from there on out. Their next two albums were really good, just not quite as good as their first one. I still need to get the new album.
  • Steve Phillips is a dirty and despicable fellow. Don't believe me? Read this http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/exclusive_espn_steve_phillips_in_bLw9UoSAQJwJLU4ZDXvvDO
  • David Letterman is no better.
  • I'd put something here about the NBA, but I don't really have any interest in that league until the playoffs. Even then, I don't really care until the second round.
  • Just listened to "Love is the Answer" on Weezer's new album. It might be the worst Weezer song ever.
  • I'm 24 and I still love video games. Go on, make fun of me. It won't change the fact I'm prettier than you.
  • Left 4 Dead is awesome and I'm pumped for the sequel. Anyone want to buy me an XBox 360? Please?
  • There are not enough headbutts in society today. Try and tell me you're never tempted to crunch someone who is pissing you off?
The Gauntlet - Dropkick Murphys

5 comments:

  1. That's a hell of a lot of thoughts.

    Crazy observations about there only being three active Super Bowl winning coaches in the NFL.

    Ryan Clark should definitely not play on Sunday.

    Haven't really seen Flyers or Capitals play this year and it's frickin November but I think your assessments were a little harsh. As long as Philly has a goalie that can keep them in games they are contenders. The only problem is they keep running into the Pens. The losses of Knuble and Lupul are underrated though. They gave up four first rounders for Pronger, so they better do something soon. I think the Capitals showed last year that they will be a dangerous team for a while. They played no defense at all and almost knocked the Pens out of the playoffs. Although Varlamov was hot and eventually collapsed, I think they showed that they can score 4 goals per night on an excellent defense, which is pretty amazing.

    Blount's retaliation (not sucker) punch was pretty over hyped. The real reason that he was suspended for the season, and not just a few games, is that he looked like he was possessed and later tried to fight Boise State fans. What a move by Meyer though. I'm sure they'll have a hard time against Vanderbilt with Spikes out for a HALF! I think they could sit all starters and beat Vanderbilt.

    Is there a story behind Weezer's album title or is it just that they have a rad attitude? I like Weezer but I think they could have tried a little harder on that one.

    I miss the anonymous poster. There was one that I kicked out of c-blog a while ago. I got your back Rickel.

    How about Chase Utley? It looks like he just flicks his wrists and the ball jumps 400 feet off his bat. You think the Phillies have a chance?

    Steve Phillips and Dave Letterman are the epitome of pathetic individuals. Why is it necessary for everyone in entertainment to cheat on their wife?

    Iwamura better have his own post. Buccos for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -I love how the Browns owner wants to hire a consultant for his consultant Bernie Kosar. How could Randy Lerner think meeting the two season ticket holders that want to do the protest is a good idea? Didn't this kinda happen in the Seinfeld episode when George's dad yells at Steinbrenner getting rid of Jay Buhner?

    -If I remember right, the Titans had horrible cap problems or the owner spending no money in the early 2000s and still had a bunch of teams finish at the 7-9, 8-8, 9-7ish level. And I believe this was when the Colts started winning 12 games a year. I'm not saying that he's a great coach, or even a good one, I'm just trying to present evidence for the other side (even if I'm going off my awful memory that you usually have to correct me on). I will say you don't spend 16 years coaching a franchise in any sport without being good at your job.

    -100% agree with the Ryan Clark sentiments. I really wouldn't mind if the team took it one step further and made the decision of not playing in the game for him.

    -The reasons you state why Weezer shouldn't be expected to re-create their first two albums is kinda related as to why I've criticized it. My problem is that the stuff I hear hasn't really developed/progressed from the early stuff. You're a very astute music buff, so think back to some of the great bands with lasting power. Just by listening to the style of the song, you can fairly easily tell what era/decade the song is from. i.e. I would think a casual music fan could tell that a song from Born to Run is noticably different from one from The Rising. Does this make me a bit of a music snob? Maybe, but it gets old to me when it sounds like some stuff from Weezer's Red Album could have been placed on their first one and nobody would notice. Just my two cents.

    -You're welcome/expected to come over and play Left 4 Dead 2 even when I'm not around. I pre-ordered it for the 11-19 release, and because I did, I get access to use the baseball bat as a melee weapon. You're welcome. Maybe I can even get a second headset so we can ridicule 12 year olds together as we destroy them.

    -I'd keep going but I don't want to hijack your blog. I am willing to volunteer my services if you ever want Greg and I to come together for a roundtable discussion/triple threat match on a given topic. Think about it, you know how intelligent Greg is on any topic from sports to trucking to the King of Prussia Mall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roundtable discussion needs to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm game. I'm just glad to have you guys back. We will discuss topics and try to set that up.

    As for the Caps and Flyers. I'm not backing down from those statements. Four goals a game is great, but doesn't matter when you give up five to six. Stanley Cup winners have great goaltending and good to great defense. I don't think the Flyers and Caps have that combination. Granted, I've seen about three games from both of them and it's only November.

    Iwamura will have his own post about being the savior of the Pirates franchise. Would "Land of the Rising Sun" be an inappropriate entrance song for him?

    Mike, every Weezer album has a different sound and style to it, if that's what you're getting at. As for casual fans being able to tell a Born to Run song and a Rising song, I am skeptical. Now if you had used the Born to Run reference with Bruce's latest album, Working on a Dream, I would agree. Simply because Working on a Dream is crap, and no one recognizes or admits that Bruce made it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright Mr. Rickel

    Would the GM you hand picked gets canned, never a good sign. Mangini should be canned. Agree on Jauron. Zorn is already a dead man walking, Synder just hasnt shot him yet. I actually think the Skins should hire Riggins to coach because he can't do much better with that team. Zorn is by no means a genius but until the organizational philosophy changes from winning free agency on Feb 28th, the Skins will be a joke. Agree on Turner, Del Rio and Cable. I would also add Kubiak to the possible list if the Texans dont make the playoffs and I think Lovie Smith could end up on that list.

    I belief the poster, Mike is correct. The Titans were in cap hell for awhile. I think it was related to awful deals they gave Eddie George and a few others. He has the rep for getting the most of out his teams. Do you really think he had a 13 win team last year? He gets canned someone would scoop him up immediately.

    Agree with you on the Caps and the Flyers. I can't stand the Rangers but if Gaborik can stay healthy for a full season they are someone to be reckoned with.

    Utley is a beast. Howard was awful in the series but hardly alone, yes talking to you Shane, Jimmy and Cole.

    When Phillips was in limbo at ESPN, people were referring to him as a good analyst. Was I missing something? Granted the people ESPN have for baseball are not as good as they use to have, he was bad, and his pretending to be the GM segments from a few offseasons ago were hilariously awful. God I hope somebody hires him to be a GM. I need some more laughs between his and Ed Wade's ineptitude.

    Working On A Dream does not exist to the point that at the last Bruce show I was at, the title track was the only song he did from that album. He did do Born To Run in order start to finish and that was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete