Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fantasy football trades: to veto or not to veto

Anyone that hates fantasy sports should stop reading now. I feel that is an important disclaimer, as those of you who do not enjoy fantasy (despite never trying it) REALLY don't like it and are kind of mean when sharing your opinions about us fantasy football players.

Now that we got that out of the way, let's talk about whether fantasy football trades, and any fantasy sports trades for that matter, should be ruled upon by the league. Now I have to admit, I used to be a poor sport in fantasy leagues. If I thought a trade made one team a lot better than the other, I would try and get the trade vetoed. It wasn't even that the deal was unfair. I was in first place and the guy in second got Miguel Cabrera. There was more to the deal, but I definitely thought the Miguel Cabrera team got the better of the deal and really didn't want my adversary to get better.

That was wrong of me and I have since changed. My stance now is that as long as the two teams involved in a trade are not working together to make one super team, then let the trade go through. Just because one player gets the better end of the deal, doesn't mean league owners should rally to shoot the trade down.

I am in an ESPN league where this situation arose. Two brothers made a deal where one owner gave up Marion Barber, Kenny Britt and Mike Sims-Walker for Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez. The league was pretty much split on the situation with half calling it unfair and the other saying let it go through. In the end, the commissioner viewed it as unfair and vetoed it.

Was this the right decision? I wouldn't have done it. Like I said, unless it's obvious one team is tanking to the other, then it should go through. Now, the brother getting White and Gonzo is tied for 10th, and the other is playoff bound, so perhaps one was trying to help his bro makes the playoffs. But I don't know them well enough to make that call.

I like that the commish took control, I just would have gone the other way.

So that brings up the question as to whether fantasy trades should be voted upon by the league? You know how I feel, now it's time for you to share your opinion. Specifically you, Greg. You haven't been on the boards in quite some time. The MBA can wait, Sports, Dogs and Everything Else needs you!

Don't Stop - Rolling Stones

3 comments:

  1. As a commissioner myself, I would've loved to comment here; but since I'm apparently not wanted, I'll keep it to myself.
    (Note the use of the semicolon!)

    I hope you learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hesitant to comment until I saw that I was specifically called out, so now it's on.

    Quit crying and comment Zanic; however, a pat on the back for the semicolon use.

    This is a really tricky subject because I don't even know how the league vote works. Does it require a majority vote? Does it include the players that made the trade that obviously want it to go through? I have no idea. Also, since every league has a few stragglers that check weekly, or in my baseball league monthly, I think the league vote should only count those who are voting.

    As for the commissioner taking control, I think that every league should be a democracy. It is possible for a dictator commissioner to be successful if he is knowledgeable, but this situations that you described can lead to an unhappy league. Obviously the league needs to be competitive but I think it is more important for everyone in the league to have fun. That's why fantasy sports exist. Because they are fun.

    Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills, and Nash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I have been asking you to comment for more than a month. I figured you were sick of me saying it.

    ReplyDelete