Monday, June 20, 2011

Sorry, but I have more random thoughts

By Jeff

OK, I am really sucking lately as a blogger. I could throw out some excuses, but really it comes down to me being lazy. Things have been, and will continue to be, hectic for me. Hopefully things will settle down soon and I will get back to the daily grind.

Until that day comes, you're going to have to settle for my sparse posts and they will most likely be reviews because I am missing a lot of stuff as they happen. Once again, I'm sorry.

  • The Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup. It sucked, but I'm glad they won instead of the Vancouver Canucks. It takes a lot for me to root for any Boston teams, but the Canucks managed to do so by playing really cheap hockey throughout the postseason. 
  • I'm happy for the Dallas Mavericks. Dirk deserved a title with the way he played this season and postseason. That's all I have to say about professional basketball.
  • Ali Riske had a great showing at Wimbledon today. She lost to No. 2 seed Vera Zvonareva in three sets. It was looking good in the third set, but Riske stated making a lot of errors after tying the set at 3-3. She is going to be really good, and I used to beat her when she was 9. Woo!
  • I never watch golf, but it was insane what Rory McIlroy accomplished this weekend at the U.S. Open. I think he broke around 12 records. I'm still not a big golf fan, but you have to respect what McIlroy did to the rest of the field.
  • Tiger Woods will not break Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 majors. 
  • "X-Men: First Class" was probably the best X-Men movie yet. It had a good mix of action and plot, and the acting was very good. I'm sure people familiar with the comics will find plenty to complain about, but it was still a good movie. Kevin Bacon rules.
  • Attended a Phillies game in Philadelphia last week and it was impressive. The stadium was packed at 1 p.m. on a Wednesday. The stadium absolutely roared for every run they scored. It was quite the atmosphere and I'm very jealous of the team's success and fans.
  • Joe and I had a great discussion on the Pirates the other day. While we are happy they are around .500 (They actually went above for a day!) we are a little worried about them keeping it up. In Joe's words, the team is a house of cards. The pitching is saving their struggling lineup, but how long can they keep it up? Especially considering the team doesn't have a healthy veteran catcher right now. There could be a long losing streak in the near future for this team.
  • I've recently started watching "Breaking Bad". It's a good show. I'm not sure it's as amazing as critics and award shows make it out to be, but it's certainly entertaining and each episode ends with you wanting to watch the next one immediately. I like to call this the "24" Effect.
  • RJ already wrote a nice piece about the passing of Clarence Clemens, but I need to add my thoughts. The man was awesome and was a big reason for me falling in love with Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band's music. The epic solo in "Born to Run" and just the fun notes he played throughout "Rosalita" are what I'll remember the most.
  • Ryan Dunn of "Jackass" fame died in a car crash early this morning. He was 34. 
Sorry to end on sad notes.

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band - Rosalita

2 comments:

  1. Hey LeBron, tell me how my dirk tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might dig this article....


    http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/06/clarence-clemons-and-the-history-of-the-rock-sideman/240813/

    ReplyDelete