Friday, August 7, 2009

Why do I hate Boston sports teams?

Whether it's the Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins or Celtics, I despise all Boston sports teams. And I can't put my finger on why. They are the only teams in sports where I don't care who they are playing, I want them to lose.

The Red Sox are not even in the Pirates' league. It just bothered me that Sox fans always called the Yankees the Evil Empire because of the Yanks' payroll. Yet those were the years when Boston had the No. 2 payroll. It could also be that I'm a Blue Jays fan and the Sox are always making the playoffs while the Jays haven't been there since 1993.

The Patriots knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs a few times, so that brings some of the hatred. But I also can't stand their fans. When I was in college, there was a restaurant on campus that had about 10 televisions and NFL Sunday Ticket. Needless to say that is where I spent most of my Sundays. Anyway, it just annoyed me that the Pats' fans would cheer for every two-yard run, and then also cheer when their defense stuffed the opposing team after a two-yard run. Unless a short run gets a touchdown or a first down, is it worth clapping and wooing?

There is also my deep hatred of Bill Belichick that enhances my dislike for the team he coaches. If you listen to NFL analysts today, they will tell you he is the amazing, great, beautiful, brilliant, blah, blah, blah. I will agree that he is a great defensive coach. But I think Tom Brady makes him look a lot better.

Damn you, Brady!

Sorry, I had to get that out there. The guy is a great quarterback, there is no other way to say it. I feel obligated to hate him, but he is the hardest Boston athlete to hate. He plays the game the right way, he stays out of trouble off the field and he is really good at what he does. However, he did get Bridget Moynahan pregnant and then dump her, so he is a jerk and I hate him!

Pittsburgh has no basketball team, yet the Celtics anger me more and more every day. I used to love Kevin Garnett. I was even happy at first that he got a championship. Then he turned into a tool, and I blame Boston!

Did you see him during the playoffs this year? You know, when he was hurt but still talking smack on the Magic? Smack talk is great, if you're on the court and playing.

There was also the miraculous recovery of Paul Pierce in Game 1 of the 2008 finals. The guy went down screaming, holding his knee and needed to be carried off the court. He comes back a few minutes later and is fine. What? It reminded me of the Italian national soccer team.

I hate the Bruins the least because they choke in the playoffs when they get there, and it's harder to find Bruin fans to get mad at.

To make amends with the Boston fans out there, I love the Dropkick Murphys and the Departed. Affleck is a tool though.

World Full of Hate - Dropkick Murphys

1 comment:

  1. The Red Sox are the ones that always tick me off. For years, people took pity on them because they were cursed and always screwed up in the big spot. They finally win and they begin to act like they are entitled to everything (not all their fans but most). After the 2004 Series, they just became so unbearable and obnoxious in general. The end thing that bothers me with the Sox, is how Gammons is a mouth piece for them and always overhypes their prospects. Olney does the same thing with the Yankees.

    The Celtics thing bothers me because most of those people who were cheering during for them their 2008 title run, had left that team for dead less than a year before when they lost the lottery and the right to draft either Oden or Durant. If you came name 3 other players other than the big 3 and Rondo from that team, congrats.

    Also to make amends with Boston fans, Good Will Hunting is a solid flick ("Do you like apples?"-too bad Affleck and Minnie Driver were in that film) and there are plenty of Dunkin' Donuts in the area, can't go wrong there.

    ReplyDelete