Thursday, August 11, 2011

Breaking my silence with some thoughts

By Jeff

By now I have probably lost the seven readers I had as I haven't had a post in almost two weeks. Once again, there are no excuses other than I've been kinda lazy. My bad.

The only good thing about a hiatus of this length is that I have a lot of stuff on my mind, which is below.
  • Within a two-week span, the Pittsburgh Pirates went from first place in the National League Central to third place and 10.5 games back. What's worse is they've also dropped four game below .500. I wish there was just one aspect of the team to blame, but the hitting, fielding, starting pitching and bullpen have all gone down the crapper. Mike might owe me a Coke after all.
  • Bringing in Ryan Ludwick and Derek Lee for basically nothing were good moves. Too bad Lee has some nagging injuries and Ludwick isn't showing any pop yet. Neither guy will or should be back next year.
  • Heard some guys on The Fan telling listeners that the team should trade Paul Maholm, Ludwick and Lee before the season is over. Why? You're not going to get anything for them. They make the team better right now and will make the team more entertaining for fans. If these were really good players that could bring back some good prospects, I'd be all for it, but they're not going to bring back anything of value.
  • Baseball's unwritten rules are lame and make their players look like wusses. Hearing Justin Verlander bitch and moan because Erick Aybar tried to bunt in the seventh inning when Verlander had a no-hitter going. The game was 3-0 and still within reach. Why shouldn't Aybar bunt? He has bunted for hits in the past and is a speed guy. It's not like Mark Trumbo went up there and bunted. And the whole, a guy hits a home run so you plunk the next batter thing is stupid. Oh, and no stealing with a big lead is dumb. Games can change in an inning. What's wrong with a team trying to score more runs and get more insurance? 
  • I was watching First Take this morning and they were sharing the storylines for tonight's preseason games. Since when are their any real storylines in the first preseason games. The starters and those fighting for a starting spot aren't in the game for more than a series. You can't tell how new free agents or coaches fit with the team yet. 
  • I keep hearing people making fun of Pete Carroll's moves in Seattle and bringing up how he ruined the New England Patriots during his three years there. He was 10-6, 9-7 and 8-8 with the Patriots. That's not terrible. Hell, that's not even bad. If you want to make fun of him for thinking Tavaris Jackson can make it as a starter, I completely agree. But let's not bring up his New England stint and say he set that franchise back. He didn't.
  • Holdouts in the NFL bother me. Chris Johnson is an incredible running back. There is no disputing that. But show up at camp and play out your contract. You signed something and made a commitment. There was nothing in there that specifically said if you rushed for so many yards, you would be outplaying your contract. Show up already. Maybe I am just angry because I have the first pick in two fantasy drafts and would like to know what Johnson is up to. 
  • Can we stop using the term "Dream Team" to describe good teams? There was one dream team. The Philadelphia Eagles do have a great secondary, but it how can they be deemed the Dream Team without the best corner back in the league (Revis)? 
  • If you knew me in high school, you probably know I refused to read the Harry Potter books or even watch the movies. It was probably because so many people thought they were the greatest things ever and that kind of popularity bothers me. So I would rip Harry and his fans despite not reading a page of the books. Well, I'm older now and through five of the books. They're not bad. Still not a fan of the movies, but the books are decent.
  • I miss hockey.
  • "Breaking Bad" is kind of getting boring. Jesse is all sad because he killed a guy, Walt wants to protect Jesse and I still wish Skyler and Walter Jr. were killed off in Season 2. We're four or five episodes into the new season and nothing has happened that did not happen in Season 3. They are cooking meth, Walt has violent mood swings and Jesse is in danger of being killed. Maybe they should have killed him at the end of Season 1 like they were initially planning.
  • Does anyone actually care if NBA players go to Europe this year? I'm just not an NBA fan. If I don't care about these guys when they play in this country, I certainly follow them in Turkey.
  • Yigo just chased a fly across the yard, to the porch and then ate it. I'd be disgusted if I wasn't so impressed by his mouth-eye coordination and persistence.
  • "Final Fantasy 13" was by far the worst game in the series since "Final Fantasy 8". I beat it about a month ago and was thoroughly disappointed with story and game play. How can you have a Final Fantasy without a world map? Hell, the game didn't even have the steal ability. At least the antagonist wasn't a sorceress from the future who is possessing other sorceresses in present time. That was just lame.
  • Jerricho Cotchery just signed with the Steelers to be their 5th receiver. It's a nice signing for the Steelers. With Hines Ward in decline and uncertainty about the health of Emmanuel Sanders, Cotchery is a great depth signing who could step in and do well. He's only 29 and had decent production as a starter in his career. 
  • Why are we still talking about Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton? This has to be the most attention a 4-12 team has ever received.
  • Jim Rome is a tool.
  • Randy Moss has retied and it's a shame he never cared for an extended period of time. He had all the talent in the world and had an impressive career, minus his stint in Oakland, but will go down as a bit of a disappointment because he never lived up to his potential.
Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment