Monday, February 15, 2010

Curling gives hope


The Winter Olympics in Vancouver are underway and I'm pumped.

Sure, the biathlon is sweet. Who doesn't like skiing and guns? The moguls look so painful I ice my knees after watching them and Olympic Hockey could be the most entertaining of all the Olympic events, including the summer games.

But I find the most enjoyment from watching curling. The excitement, or lack thereof, is not what sucks me in. It's my belief that I could be an Olympic curler if I tried really hard.

Maybe I am disrespecting curlers worldwide. OK, so I am definitely disrespecting curlers worldwide, but I believe that if I were to quit my job and dedicate my life to curling over the next four to eight years, I could be an Olympian.

I have no such belief with any other sport. I'm 5 feet 7 inches tall, so dreams of basketball, sprinting, long jumping and many events are out of my reach.

But not curling.

There are two aspects of curling, sliding the stone and sweeping the ice. Neither appears to be too complicated on television. I won't master it from my first attempt, but give me a little time and a committed team and I have no doubt I could represent my country well. Of course, there is strategy, but that will grow with my experience.

Is there any sport out there that gives an ordinary person this hope of being an Olympic athlete? I don't think so. Even rhythmic gymnastics seems tougher.

So while many will be changing the channel or laughing at how curling could possibly be a sport (and it's a legitimate question), I will be studying hard and taking diligent notes to help me prepare for 2014.

Jimmy Eat World - Lucky Denver Mint

4 comments:

  1. Jeff,
    As a founding member of the South Pittsburgh Curling Club, I find your assertions and blanket statements mocking my beloved sport hurtful and just plain uninformed. It’s more than just sliding a rock on a sheet of ice. As a youth in Finland, the best curlers were taking out of public schools and sent north to live with a host family and to train with proper coaching. Olympic curlers are like bowlers, not exactly Lance Armstrong, but still very dedicated to their sport.
    I was never good enough to garner that sort of curling attention, but I love the game nonetheless. (Who wouldn’t like a game you can play while holding a beer in your hand??) When my career brought me to North America, and eventually Pittsburgh I started the club at the Mt. Lebanon Ice Rink. We meet the second Tuesday of every month at 8:30. Come check us out, or look us up on facebook.

    -Peter Kuyt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like I have a potential coach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA!! Rickel, I'm Peter Kuyt!!! It's my Finnish alias. Love the post, seriously. I just wanted to comment. Keep up the Olympic coverage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling it was you or Greg. You can still be my coach.

    ReplyDelete