Monday, January 31, 2011

Who the hell is Clay Travis?

By Jeff

Crap. I've done it again. I've let a bad column get under my skin and now I'm reacting to it.

In fairness, I fought the urge for a few days this time.

The column in question was written by Clay Travis on NFL Fanhouse and spends hundreds of words telling readers how stupid the Pittsburgh Steelers' Terrible Towel is. It was obviously written to anger Steelers fans, and it did so. Mission accomplished.

I actually didn't mind this column that much. I obviously disagreed with it, but can understand his point of view as someone who dislikes the city of Pittsburgh and the Steelers. Some people love seeing stadiums filled with gold towels waving. It's a show of unity with each other and the team. Others don't like it. And that's OK.

My problem comes from an interview Travis did with WTAE after he wrote the column. In the WTAE interview, Travis (Someone should tell him that having two first names is stupid) basically discounted the fact that proceeds from Terrible Towel sales go toward the Allegheny Valley School, which serves individuals who are mentally handicapped or have other disabilities.

Travis said, "The proceeds is a good thing. I don't know anyone who has an issue with money going to charity. Now, is it that substantial an amount of charity? I mean, every year, they give less to charity than they pay the worst Steeler football player, so it's not like this is some multimillion-dollar-every-year industry that's changing the face of Pittsburgh. I mean, it's a little bit of money. It's better than not anything. But it's not like it's a seismic difference in the overall scope of the city."
If these babies could, they'd give Clay Travis the finger.

When Travis was told that Terrible Towel sales have raised more than $3 million for the Allegheny Valley School, he acted as if $200,000 a year wasn't that big of a deal because the Steelers pay their worst player more than that.

First, $200,000 is a lot of money to give to charity every year. I don't care how much money an individual or company makes. That's a lot of money to give. I'd like to know how much of his income Travis gives to charity. I wouldn't make fun of him if it was a small amount, as I respect any charitable donation. I just want to point out his hypocrisy.

Second, Travis is acting as if the Steelers own the rights and trademark to the Terrible Towel. They do not. The Terrible Towel's rights are owned by the Allegheny Valley School Corporation, as you can see here. With that fact in mind, there is no reason to point at how much the Steelers pay their players.

Third, it's easy to see that Travis does not like the city of Pittsburgh, the Steelers or their fans. The article may focus on the Terrible Towel, but he also bashes the city and takes a the mandatory shot at Ben Roethlisberger's legal issues.

Going back to the original column, I don't think Travis has spoken to many Steelers fans. He said that you can't speak with a Steelers fan for three minutes without the Terrible Towel being mentioned. Really? Having lived in Pittsburgh for 24 years (I was in Guam for one), I've rarely brought up the Terrible Towel with people. Usually it's just asking if my friends remembered theirs, asking my girlfriend's grandpa if he is enjoying it (He uses it as a bowling towel) or just informing someone that proceeds go to charity. I don't know anyone that just starts talking about the Terrible Towel and its greatness. 

You have to give it to Travis though, he knew this article would get a big reaction and a lot of readers. NFL Fanhouse is probably ecstatic to get so many readers they normally don't, as towel wavers probably flocked to Web site because they had to see for their own eyes that someone would diss their beloved symbol. 

Of course, Steelers fans understand that there is a price to disrespecting the Terrible Towel. Just ask T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Keith Bullock and LenDale White. I'm not wishing misfortune on Travis, but I think it's safe to say karma and Myron Cope's ghost are going to have revenge.

10 comments:

  1. ...and may he be transferred to work in Pittsburgh, and be tortured for the rest of his life.

    Too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not enough. He was spewing hate on the city, so I think it's fair game to spew hate back.

    By the way, I am pretty terrible with blogger. I have no idea why the font and size changes halfway through the article. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Someone should tell him having two first names is stupid."

    -Blog contributor Joe says hi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is probably just bitter because AOL Fanhouse will not really exist in about a month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done sir. I think the only time I've ever mentioned the words "terrible towel" in the last five years are when my personal towel is brought up because I'm still bitter that my brother lost my original one from the early 90's. Back then the material was actually a towel, now it's more like a terrible wash cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe Ryan here. I have two first names and an ax to grind. Those poor babies at St. Clair Hospital will never have a chance to choose their own NFL team. They've been assigned to the Steelers and will spend countless time and money supporting a team that just happens to be located near the location of birth. It's a shame really. Go Cavs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, I'm sorry. You are proof that some people can pull off the two first names.

    The babies will always have a choice as they won't be able to remember that they were once wrapped in terrible towels, which I doubt provide much warmth. It could have the opposite effect on them.

    Go Cavs? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, I'd like to say I freaking HAAAAAAAAAAATE the terrible towel. But with such hatred comes respect. Something the author of the article clearly doesn't posses. I disagree with many of the shots Travis makes at the city, as they are profoundly unjust. I think Forbes rated Pittsburgh the most livable city to live in 2010. So that speaks volumes of for Travis' claims right there.

    I love Pittsburgh, the city is way better than where I grew up, and WAYYYY better than where my favorite sports teams call home, Cleveland. If the burgh had a better subway I'd even say it's better than my favorite city, Beantown...

    Even with all that there is one thing I agree with Travis about, and it is how Steeler Fan gets way too over dramatic about respecting the towel. They act like its the blood of Christ. I've been in a few encounters with steelers fan, more than I'd like to admit and mostly due to my hometown buddies from the YO being in town, over the freaking towel. I had one guy in the south side tell me once, that if my friends disrespected the towel one more time, that meant he was being disrespected and in turn was about to put some of that disrespect on us... Seriously its just a towel man.. Give it a rest...

    That lunatic with two first names that frequents the blog is correct, and I applaud his loyalism (which is a rarity considering all the band wagoners that frequently rock their steelers and pens gear??? Where's your pirates gear??? But that is for another day and another disucssion) ...GO CAVS!!!!! End the streak @ 21!!!!!

    As for the Superbowl...I'm putting my money on the Cheese...

    Packers - 34
    Steelers - 24

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, this morning after the hubbub about Travis' DeMarcus Cousins jail tweet, I google "who the hell is Clay Travis"- lo and behold there is actually an article with that title.

    ReplyDelete