The camera work on Obama's opening pitch was terrible. Maybe that was the idea. Don't give a us a clear picture of where the ball went so we can't criticize the man later if it was bad. Solid job, Fox. By the way, he throws like a girl. I also thought he had better things to do than hangout in the press box and talk baseball. Although, he is a much better announcer than Joe Buck. But isn't everyone?
Innings three through seven had nothing exciting going on, and then the game winning run was scored on a sacrifice fly. Snore.
The only thing that was entertaining in that span was noticed by my friend, R.J. Detroit Tigers' Edwin Jackson was pitching, and announcer Tim McCarver said Jackson was glad to be back in the AL. Jackson has been in the AL for the past four years. He was a Tampa Bay Ray for three seasons before being traded to Detroit last offseason.
Gotta love McCarver. He is good for one of these every game.
I loved Justin Upton's route on Curtis Granderson's triple. There is nothing like seeing a professional baseball player just run blindly at the wall, stick his glove in the air and hope the ball lands in it. He is is a right fielder that was playing left field at the time, but that's not an excuse. You're an All-Star.
So let's come up with ideas to make the All-Star Game more fun to watch.
- Take away the winner gets homefield for the World Series. This game should not mean anything, especially considering some of the other ideas I am going to throw out there.
- Opposite hand inning! Managers from both teams can pick one inning to make the other team play with their opposite hands. Pitchers and catchers can use their normal hands. There would be a lot of walks otherwise.
- Let infielders play outfield and vice versa. How great would it be to watch Prince Fielder try and shag a fly ball down the line? Just give him an oxygen tank, and he should be good.
- Hire some sort of comedian to announce it. Buck has to go.
- Matching uniforms designed by a local kindergarten class. I feel like there is no loyalty when the All Stars just wear their regular jerseys.
- Let two lucky fans manage an inning. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be a Pirate fan. Might be the only way a Pirate will get to play.
- Every home run hit in the game will raise money for charity. They do it in the home run derby, why stop there?
- Have the teams go at it in a dance off during the seventh inning stretch.
- Let Kevin Costner play in the game. He's made about 20 baseball movies
Tomorrow I will introduce you all to Yigo, the world traveling dog.
Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix