Thursday, May 19, 2011

Random sports thoughts

By Jeff

It feels like a long time since I've had anything to say about sports. Well, here are the things that have been buzzing around in my head for the past week or so. Some of these are a little outdated. Deal with it.

Apparently Posada also refused to
take off his catching gear.
  • Jorge Posada is a little girl. Wait, that might be insulting to little girls who would be happy to play baseball, no matter where they're placed in the lineup, for almost $72,000 per game. Posada reportedly refused to play in a game against the Boston Red Sox because he was dropped to ninth in the order. He is batting .179, so why is he even in the lineup to begin with? This would qualify for the Athletes Being Stupid series, but I've pretty much said all I have to say on this matter.
  • How a week changes things. Last Monday the Pittsburgh Pirates were 18-17 and looking like a real baseball team. Then they lost six in a row. Now those are the Buccos we know and love!
  • Charlie Morton has two complete games, one shutout and an ERA of 2.62. Nate McLouth is batting .250 with three home runs. This is looking like a solid trade. Last year was a wash as they both were terrible.
  • Jose Bautista is destroying American League pitching again. Not only does he have 16 homers, but he's batting .372 and has scored 35 runs. And he's missed eight games. It's early, but I smell MVP.
  • While everyone is talking about Derek Jeter's struggles, nobody seems to be talking about Alex Rodriguez and his .266 average, Mark Teixeira's .257 average, and Nick Swisher forgetting how to play baseball. 
  • There is some kind of news about the NFL lockout. None of it means crap at this point. If no headway has been made come the end of June, I'll find a college football team to follow. Go Badgers.
Whose hand is that?
  • I'm not a big basketball fan. I don't know much about basketball because I rarely watch it. But even I know Dirk Nowitzki is really good. Really good.
  • I have actually been watching this round of the NBA playoffs. It seemed like LeBron James and Dwyane Wade gave up in Game 1. They responded well in Game 2. I hate Joakim Noah.
  • Mike's and my Rinko teams are sucking up the joint. It's my fault. Jeff Carter as alternate captain? What the hell was I thinking? Should have made the goalies captains.
  • And the San Jose Sharks are back. It looked like they may get over the hump this year, but a sweep is looking likely. 
Admit it, you think these CGI chicks are hot. You're not alone.
  • I saw "Thor" last week (2-D). It was all right. Nothing special. The whole time I was thinking that the makers of the movie really wanted Heath Ledger for the role of Thor. Marvel has me hooked. I want to see all these comic book movies even though I know they won't be that great. I blame "Iron Man" because it was really good. If only Robert Downey Jr. could play every super hero.
  • I've been playing "Final Fantasy XIII" and it's a little disappointing. The game is so linear. There is no exploring or world map. Final Fantasy games are all about vast areas that you explore and get into battles you are in no way prepared to fight at that stage in the game. This game feels like an old-fashioned side-scrolling game. You know, where you run from one side of the screen to the other and enemies will just pop up for you to kill. The story is good, but it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy or an RPG.
Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm

1 comment:

  1. Great roundup old friend!

    But the Badgers? Really?

    And those Buccos....way to tug at the heartstrings guys. Isn't it a shame that I would seriously consider going up to Pittsburgh for the last home game if they could finish over .500? And it's even sadder that I wouldn't be the only one. The whole frickin' city would go nuts. For just a positive season.

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete