Friday, December 3, 2010

Pittsburgh's best pizza tour: Pizzaz and Clavoio's

By Jeff

Sorry I've been slacking the past two weeks with the pizza tour. It's not that I haven't been going and eating mass quantities of pizza, I've just been putting off posting. So here are two places. One brings back memories of youth soccer, the other is fairly new. You'll note that the pepperonis on both pizzas are not mini pepperoni's. Not sure what that means, but they tasted fine.
Pizzaz's cheese brings it down a bit.

First, there is Pizzaz Pizza in Peters. My old soccer teams used to have pizza parties here after the season. I remember faking throwing up when one of my teammates was eating mushrooms on his pizza. I was 6 and immature.

Anyway, Swan and I stopped by there this week and I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. The cheese had a distinct flavor that I am not fond of, yet have trouble describing. I just seemed like I tasted more grease than cheese, which is weird considering it didn't seem any greasier than any other pizza we've had in the past few months. Maybe they use a lower quality of cheese. I don't really know.

The sauce wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to overcome the greasy cheese taste. Maybe it's actually really good sauce, but just overshadowed by the cheese.

The best part of the pizza was the crust. It was cooked just right with no burned spots or bubbles. Swan mentioned that it seemed fluffy, and I had to agree.

Overall, I'd probably give Pizzaz 5 out of 10.

Second, we visited Clavoio's about two weeks ago. If you didn't know exactly where this place was located, you'd have trouble finding the little restaurant. It's on Painter's Run Road near the landscaping company. We got it to go, but it seems like a very pleasant atmosphere inside.

As for the pizza, it was really good. Not on Fiori's or Burgh's level, but solid. The cheese wasn't too greasy, or at least it didn't overpower the rest of the pie. The sauce was a little sweet, so you know I'm happy. And the crust was OK. Nothing special, and I've never eaten a pizza and said "That crust was amazing!"
I have to be honest, I might be misspelling Clavoio's.
You should go there regardless.

The people inside are also very nice. I want this place to stick around. It's not the best pizza in the world, but it's close to anyone living in the USC, Mt. Lebanon, Bethel Park and Bridgeville areas. You could do a lot worse.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Should I have made my rating system out of 12 since most of the pizzas Swan and I get are 12 cuts? I guess it's kind of too late to change the system.

The Beta Band - Assessment

No comments:

Post a Comment