Thursday, August 12, 2010

CBS goofs on top 5 roller coaster list

To begin, let me admit that I haven't been to every major amusement park in America. In fact, I have only been to Kennywood, both Busch Gardens, Cedar Point, Hershey Park, some Disney parks, Sea World and Carowinds. Despite my lack of experience. I can still find some problems with the top 5 list CBS News Travel Editor Peter Greenberg came up with here.

I have only ridden one of the coasters that made his list, but that's why I can't take it serious. He ranked Kennywood's Sky Rocket as No. 2. If it is No. 2, then I have to question the rest of the list, although Kingda Ka looks crazy!

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Kennywood is getting the recognition, but The Sky Rocket is probably not in the top three coasters at Kennywood, let alone the country. It's too slow. Its great that you're launched up the first hill at 50 mph, but then you come to a stop at the top right before you go down. The end is also kind of weak. It's smooth, but there is no thrill. The thought of death or catastrophe never enters your mind.

I don't know about you, but I want roller coasters to thrill and/or scare me. Whether they're going very high, taking turnings and loops at high speeds or creating a legitimate fear of the coaster throwing you from the car (I'm looking at you Jackrabbit of Kennywood), I want my coasters to put me on the edge of my seat. The second half of the Sky Rocket has you sitting back thinking how pleasant your ride was, not "Holy smokes I'm alive and want to do it again!"

I'm going to do Mr. Greenberg five better and give my top 10 roller coasters.

10: Expedition Everest, Disney's Animal Kingdom


This coaster is not the biggest or fastest, not even close, but it's creative. You take a few small hills, then start a big climb and expect the usual big drop. Only at the top the track is shooting up in the air because some Yeti ripped it up. So then you start speeding backwards, and the track is different because the track goes a different way in the tunnel. While that first ride and initial surprise it when this coaster is at it's best, it doesn't lose much entertainment value on later runs.

9: Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point

When I first rode this, it was the biggest and fastest coaster on the planet. The Kingda Ka has since surpassed it and would probably take up this spot if I had ridden it. But there is something to be said for being the first coaster to ever top 400 feet. The site from the top, although it only lasts a second, is amazing and 400-foot drop straight down amazing.

8: The Jackrabbit, Kennywood

The ride is short but sweet. What puts this 90-year-old wooden coaster on the list is its infamous double dip. When you hit the second dip, the ride feels as though it leaves the track and riders are practically thrown from the train. It is the one and only ride where I will not keep my hands up the whole time. Call me a wuss, I don't care.

7: Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

If you love inverted coasters, you need to ride the Alpengeist. If you ride in the front seat, you will feel as though you are about to take off into the sky when you go through a loop. I recall trying to wrap my legs around part of the ride when I went on it the first time. Once again, feel free to call me a wuss.

6: Maverick, Cedar Point

When you read about Maverick or watch it, there doesn't seem to be anything special about Cedar Point's newest coaster. Then you strap in and it's non-stop thrill. You reach 70 mph and hit little loops so hard you feel like you might be whipped out of your harness. The ride is also surprisingly long considering it maintains its high speeds throughout the ride (unlike Sky Rocket). So worth the two-hour wait you will have to sit through.

5: Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg

You have to be in one of the outside seats in the front to truly experience Apollo's Chariot. From this position, there are times when you think you are going to smash into other structures. Fortunately, you don't and can live to ride it again.

4: Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood

Thank goodness they changed this ride. It used to be the Steel Phantom, and was great, except for the fact you would hit the inversions and feel like a pinball. If you didn't put a maximum effort into stopping your head from whipping around, there was a good chance your head would be pounding for the next few rides. In 2001, they did away with the inversion, got rid of the harness style seating and ride is so much better for it. You still drop 232 feet and hit speeds of 85 mph, only you are no longer in danger of getting whiplash. Men, be warned that you could hurt your tenders near the end of the ride if you aren't prepared. Sometimes the bunny hops (I have no idea what to call them) can shoot you up in your seat and your testicles will hit the bar. You've been warned. Enjoy!

3: Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

Absolutely love this ride. With seven inversions it leads all other inverted roller coasters in the world, and they're all awesome. The Montu also has a special place in my heart because it was the first "hanging" (that's what I used to call them) roller coaster I ever experienced. Other rides have surpassed it in height and speed, but they also don't take you over a crocodile pit. No matter how secure you are on coasters, you can't help but think how much it would suck to fall from the ride into the crocodile pit. Also, the pit is near the end of the ride, so you are not at top speeds or that high. If you were to fall in, you'd probably still be alive when the crocs got to you. Just something to think about. (Please note that I haven't been there since like 1996. They might have moved the crocs.)

2: Thunderbolt, Kennywood

How many coasters start you at the top of the first drop? Not many. Thunderbolt is the best wooden coaster I have ever been on, and nothing compares. From the high speeds to the perfect storm, this ride entertains you from start to finish. What I mean by the perfect storm is the rare occurrence when you're on the Thunderbolt and the Phantom's Revenge comes speeding down it's second drop at the same time. It looks as though you will be destroyed by the speeding steel coaster, but it goes a few feet below you, leaving you gasping for breath and wondering what the hell just happened.

1: Millennium Force, Cedar Point

It pains me to put this above the Kennywood coasters, but the front seat of the Millennium Force is the greatest experience I have ever had with a coaster. You have a seat belt and a bar, but that's it. When you get to the top of the 310-foot opening hill, you can just reach out and feel as if you're flying as you soar down at an 80-degree angle. I usually see spots. Once I recover, the rest of the ride is no less thrilling. You fly through sharp turns, speed through tunnels and feel as though you'll jump off the track on the bunny hops. It's basically a bigger and faster version of the Phantom's Revenge. Only drawback to the front seat is you will find dozens of deg bugs on your shirt.

Bachman Turner Overdrive - Let it Roll

7 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of the Magnum XL-200 roller coaster at Cedar Point...though the list is sweet, I might put this one at #4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Magnum, it's a better coaster than Everest, but I rode Millennium Force, Phantom and most of these before Magnum, so it wasn't a unique experience. Still a great ride though. Love the second drop where you are a little confused as to which way you're going to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a little sad none of my Hershey Park coasters made the list. And one of my fav's at Cedar Point- the Wicked Twister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fahrenheit would probably be in my top 15. That is a better version of Sky Rocket, but a not as good version of the Maverick.

    Wicked Twister is solid as well, but it takes too much effort to prevent my groin from being hurt!

    Please feel free to share your own top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much agree with the list...well done. I definitely need to get to some new amusement parks. King's Island in Mason, OH looks sweet. Griffon at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA and Intimidator 305 at King's Dominion in Doswell, VA both look nasty. I've never ridden Montu, but it sounds great.

    I think mine would be...

    10. Alpengeist at Busch Gardens
    9. Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens
    8. Firehawk at King's Island (Formerly X-Flight at Geauga Lake)
    7. Top Thrill Dragster at Cedarpoint
    6. Maverick at Cedarpoint
    5. Thunderbolt at Kennywood
    4. Raptor at Cedarpoint
    3. Incredible Hulk at Universal Studios
    2. Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
    1. Millennium Force at Cedarpoint

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rickel I have been thinking about this ever since you sent me that text this weekend. I love your list, there are some great coasters. In fact my number 1 and 2 are the same.

    1. Millenium Force- C Point.- Everything a steel coaster should be. Fast, exciting, it takes you to the top in like 4 seconds. Plus, somehow, it has great views of Ohio. No idea how that happens.

    2. Thunderbolt- Kennywood. The coaster just tipifys what Kennywood is, old school and yet badass. When I think about the Thunderbolt I not only think of a great coaster but the whole Kennywood experince itself. I need to get back someday.

    3. Raptor- Cedar Point. Way better than the Mantis. Suck it Marx

    4. Shivering Timbers- Michigan Andventure. Back in my hay day of going to Amusment parks I made my parents stop off at this random Park in Michigan. This coaster was worth the trip. Just endless amounts of hills.

    5. Phantoms Revenge- Kennywood. I still think I rode the coaster more than anyone else its opening year.

    6. The Beast- Kings Island. Just putting it here because I survived the damn thing.

    7. Superman- Kings Island. Not sure what they call it now but was a great ride at the time.

    8. Top Thrill Dragster- C Point. I pooped myself the first time I rode it.

    9. Jackrabbit- Kennywood- The double dip is still legit.

    10. Lock Ness Monster- B Gardens- First coaster I ever went on that went upside down.

    Big shout out to the Wild Mouse at Idelwild as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roarty, love the Loch Ness Monster pick. What is so amazing about Loch Ness Monster is it's ability to withstand the test of time. It's 32 years old and I never once got off and thought my head was going to explode, like most (younger) steel coasters of its kind.

    ReplyDelete