Monday, October 12, 2009

Some apologies are in order

Admitting you're wrong is never fun, but it's something we all have to face. That's why I'm writing this. To admit I was wrong and apologize to those who I called out or insulted.

First, Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Several people probably heard me say the Broncos would contend for worst team in the league and McDaniels might be fired before the season ended. Well, they're 5-0 and just beat the New England Patriots. He pissed off their franchise QB to the point he demanded a trade and got it. He angered their stud wide receiver to the point he was batting down passes in practice. And let's be honest, who thought that defense could make that drastic of a turnaround to quickly? So Josh, I'm sorry. You go from my candidate to be fired, to being my coach of the year candidate.

On a side note, how right was I about the attention the media would give to the McDaniels/Bill Belichick handshake that never was? Picture this. As the Broncos line up for the game-winning field goal, The Fray's "How to Save a Life" comes on and everything is in slow motion. While the kick is in the air, we go to shots of Belichick and his fear, then quickly cut to McDaniels' joy. Now the chorus starts and we cut to McDaniels pumping his fist like he's clubbing a seal. Then, just as the music is fading, we cut to Belichick looking for McDaniels to wrap him in a beautiful man hug, then fade to black with his look of utter sadness.

If I had any video editing skills I would so put that up on YouTube.

As much as I hate to admit this next one, I owe Jay Cutler an apology. He still looks like a spoiled little kid who is ready to cry at the drop of a hat, but he is doing a great job up in Chicago. His touchdown leap against the Detroit Lions was a football play that I wished happened every week. He started hot last year before being a part of Denver's collapse last year, but I think he will probably lead them to a Wild Card spot this year.

For the past two weeks, I've been telling anyone who would listen that the Cleveland Browns would not win a game this season. Well the friggin Buffalo Bills had to go and make me wrong. How do you lose a game where the opposing quarterback is 2-for-17 for 23 yards and a pick? After almost beating the Patriots in Week 1, the Bills have been a joke. For the record, I think that is the only win the Browns get this year.

I'm going to apologize to readers for not coming up with a quirky O.J. Simpson joke for the above paragraph. If I can't do it right, I'm not going to do it.

While we're on the topic of the Bills, I was so wrong about Terrell Owens and the rest of my receivers in a certain fantasy football league. TO always runs into trouble after a year of service, so I thought the Bills were very smart to sign him to a one-year deal. He would take attention away from Lee Evans, and defenses would have to respect a good running game of Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson. Of course, I overlooked the fact they had no offensive line and Trent Edwards is still playing scared after getting a concussion last year.

I also thought Roy Williams and Braylon Edwards would have bounce back years. Week 1 looked OK. Roy had a 66-yard TD and then Week 2 Braylon had 90+ yards. They have been terrible since and will cost me a that league. It happens to the best of us.

Then there was that preseason prediction that the New York Giants would miss the playoffs and the Tennessee Titans would snag a Wild Card. The Giants are now 5-0 and the Titans are 0-5 and looking terrible.

Mario Manningham was awful last year and Steve Smith couldn't beat out Amani Toomer or Domenik Hixon for playing time. Yet here they are lighting up opponents' secondaries. I also didn't think Osi Umenyiora would come back from a major knee injury and play this well this soon. I was pretty much wrong all around on that one.

Then there are the Titans. Does losing Albert Haynesworth do that much damage to their defense? They were one of the best defenses in the league last year and now they can't stop anyone. I really shouldn't make predictions.

The Steelers did win, though. It wasn't a shutout like I said, but I'll take whatever I can get right now.

Glad Girls - Guided by Voices

No comments:

Post a Comment